This is a quick post to install or enable .Net 3.5 on windows 7. Last couple of weeks Im seeing more questions on installing SQL Server 2008 in windows 7 and the users are unable to install SQL Server 2008 pre-requisite (.Net 3.5 ). To Install SQL Server 2008, windows installer 4.5 & .Net 3.5 is required. Windows installer 4.5 is installed and enabled by default, .Net 3.5 is included in windows features, so you can directly go there and turn on .Net 3.5, windows 7 will automatically install this. To turn on .Net 3.5 in Windows 7 just follow the steps below
- Login into Windows 7 with admin rights
- Open Control Panel
- Open Programs and Features
- A new window will be pop up, in the left hand pane of Programs and Features you can find Turn Windows Features ON or OFF, click on this
- Windows features dialog box gets open, in that list scroll down and enable the checkbox Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1, If needed you can also enable WCF (Windows Communication foundation) and click ok
- Windows 7 will install DotNet 3.5 in your machine.
- Now you can continue with SQL Server 2008 installation.
If you have any questions please post it in our discussion thread.